4-H members complete a speech or a demonstration at Club Rally. Write a speech to tell the audience about a topic you’re passionate about, something that you can relate to, or your recent family vacation.
There are three categories:
- Junior: 4-H Age 9-12
- Intermediate: 4-H Age 13 – 15
- Senior: 4-H Age 16 – 21
The junior category also contains an Introducer and Thanker component. Introducers write a short introduction to the speaker, and the thanker thanks the speaker (less than one minute) Senior speakers must also complete an impromptu speech.
The intermediate category also contains a Divert NS topic category where Diver NS provides four topics that intermediate members can choose from. Winners in this category at the provincial level will receive cash prizes provided by Divert NS as follows:
- 1st place = $500 + attend Divert NS AGM
- 2nd place = $300
- 3rd place = $100
How to Qualify: Win at your club rally first. In the junior category, clubs select winners for each of the Introducer, Speaker and Thanker categories. In the intermediate category, clubs select winners for both the member’s choice and Divert NS categories. Winners at the club level will go on to County and then regional rallies. There is a space for each region in each category.
2023 Divert NS Intermediate Public Speaking Topics:
- What is the circular economy? How can agriculture contribute to the circular economy?
- Supporting Local: How can supporting local help reduce our impact on climate change? What are some ways to encourage people to buy local?
- What is the global impact of food loss and what can be done to reduce food loss on farms?
- Nova Scotia’s farmers are known to be innovative, explore ways that Nova Scotia’s farmers are using innovative technology to reduce farm waste.
- What can the agricultural industry do to help reduce the amount of waste being sent to landfill? What are some of the benefits and challenges?