4-H members complete a speech or a demonstration at Club Rally. Write a speech to tell the audience about a topic you’re passionate about, something that you can relate to, or your recent family vacation.
There are three categories:
- Junior: 4-H Age 9-12
- Intermediate: 4-H Age 13 – 15
- Senior: 4-H Age 16 – 21
The junior category also contains an Introducer and Thanker component. Introducers write a short introduction to the speaker, and the thanker thanks the speaker (less than one minute) Senior speakers must also complete an impromptu speech.
The senior category also contains a Divert NS topic category where Divert NS provides four (4) topics that senior members can choose from. Winners in this category at the provincial level will receive cash prizes provided by Divert NS as follows:
- 1st place = $500 + attend Divert NS AGM
- 2nd place = $300
- 3rd place = $100
How to Qualify: Win at your club rally first. In the junior category, clubs select winners for each of the Introducer, Speaker and Thanker categories. In the senior category, clubs select winners for both the member’s choice and Divert NS categories. Winners at the club level will go on to County and then regional rallies. There is a space for each region in each category.
Important: Immediate family of, or those domiciled with the following individuals are not eligible to participate in the Divert NS category of the Public Speaking Competition.
- Current employees and board members of Divert NS.
- Employees of the Nova Scotia Environment Solid Waste Resource Management Section.
- Employees of regional and municipal waste management authorities.
2024 Divert NS Senior Public Speaking Topics:
- What is the circular economy? What role can the agriculture industry play in the circular economy?
- What does garbage have to do with climate change? Explore how reducing waste is climate action.
- Nova Scotia’s farmers are known to be innovative, explore ways that Nova Scotia’s farmers are using innovative technology to reduce food loss or food waste on farms.
- How do the skills you learn through 4H help you reduce your waste? How could these skills be utilized to have a larger impact locally and globally?
- Explore the impact of fast fashion on the environment. What actions can youth take to reduce textile waste and promote sustainable fashion?