The 4-H Canada Youth Advisory Committee (YAC), is the national youth voice for 4-H Canada. YAC provides leadership opportunities for outstanding young people from across the country who have been involved in 4-H and want to continue to play a role and contribute to the 4-H movement in Canada.
A senior youth from each province is appointed for a two-year term. In addition, the Nova Scotia YAC representative becomes part of the 4-H Nova Scotia Board of Directors for the same term.
Youth Advisory Committee Member Job Description
The Youth Advisory Committee (YAC) is the national youth voice for 4-H Canada, providing leadership opportunities for outstanding young people from across the country who are currently active 4-H members or recent alumni. Our YAC members –one per province for a total of 12 members –are youth who want to continue to play a role and contribute to the 4-H movement in Canada.
As a YAC member and the youth voice for 4-H Canada, you are a strong leader and a team player, be willing to share your opinions and perspectives, and be respectful and trustworthy. Above all, you are passionate about 4-H, and an advocate to its potential.
Selection Criteria & Requirements
Candidate YAC members must:
- be between the age of 18 and 25;
- be a current 4-H member in good standing or recent alumni (within three years);
- commit to volunteer at least two hours per month, and additional time as required;
- attend and actively participate in all scheduled meetings and events;
- demonstrate an interest in public speaking, group facilitation and in being a team player;
- demonstrate knowledge of 4-H at the local, provincial and national levels;
- be willing to travel within Canada when required.
- Attend and participate actively in all in-person and teleconference meetings.
- Participate actively in assigned working groups. Tasks include:
- Assisting 4-H Canada staff in the planning and facilitation of national conferences;
- Acting in an advisory capacity to 4-H Canada staff on various topics;
- Representing 4-H youth members at the national level to the 4-H Canada Board of Directors.
- Represent 4-H Canada within provinces and promote national programs and opportunities through provincial networks.
- Represent 4-H Canada at various events and promote national programs and opportunities.
- Be a positive role model for 4-H members.
- Represent provinces and complete all provincial duties as required.
- Share 4-H Canada events and key messages with networks within 4-H.
Structure and Time Commitment
- One youth advisor is selected from each province
- Participate in five to six YAC meetings held per year by teleconference, with one in-person meeting per year
- Participate in one working group per year, where meeting frequency is determined by the working group
- Travel and participate in a minimum of one national event per year that will be coordinated by 4-H Canada (to be determined)
Benefits of Being a YAC Member
- Gain volunteer experience as part of a national committee
- Develop and expand on career skills including leadership, facilitation, and teamwork
- Travel across Canada through various opportunities
- Create new networks and friendships
4-H Nova Scotia YAC Responsibilities
Member Application Form
Please fill out the Youth Advisory Committee Member Application Form using the button below.
Application Deadline: December 9, 2022
The Members Voice Committee
The Members Voice Committee is made up of one senior member representative from each county. The committee is chaired by the Youth Advisory Committee representative to bring forward a voice representing youth across the province.